Inhalants are chemicals found in ordinary household or workplace products that people inhale on purpose to get “high.” Because many inhalants can be found around the house, people often don’t realize that inhaling their fumes, even just once, can be very harmful to the brain and body and can lead to death. In fact, the chemicals found in these products can change the way the brain works and cause other problems in the body
butane lighters, propane tanks, whipped cream dispensers, and refrigerant gases anesthesia, including ether, chloroform, halothane, and nitrous oxide
Although different inhalants cause different effects, they generally fall into one of four categories.
Volatile solvents are liquids that become a gas at room temperature. They are found in:
paint thinner, nail polish remover, degreaser, dry-cleaning fluid, gasoline, and contact cement some art or office supplies, such as correction fluid, felt-tip marker fluid, and electronic contact cleaner Aerosols are sprays that contain propellants and solvents. They include:
spray paint, hair spray, deodorant spray, vegetable oil sprays, and fabric protector spray Gases may be in household or commercial products, or used in the medical field to provide pain relief. They are found in:
butane lighters, propane tanks, whipped cream dispensers, and refrigerant gases anesthesia, including ether, chloroform, halothane, and nitrous oxide (commonly called “laughing gas”). Nitrites are a class of inhalants used mainly to enhance sexual experiences. Organic nitrites include amyl, butyl, and cyclohexyl nitrites and other related compounds. Amyl nitrite was used in the past by doctors to help with chest pain and is sometimes used today to diagnose heart problems. Nitrites are now banned (prohibited by the Consumer Product Safety Commission) but can still be found, sold in small bottles labeled as “video head cleaner,” “room odorizer,” “leather cleaner,” or “liquid aroma.”